Skip to content

Toggle service links

Message from Acting Vice-Chancellor: Further update on our Curriculum Review

Posted on:

In May, I wrote to you to give you an update about our Curriculum Review process. As I explained in my last message, all universities regularly review their curriculum and we have undertaken a larger than usual university-wide review this year. The aim has been to introduce new options for students while removing areas of study that have proved to be less popular. Our governance committees have now met and some proposals have been approved, with a number of further changes to be considered at the end of June.

I want to reiterate that we will continue to retain a broad curriculum across all our faculties and no academic disciplines are being removed. We expect to withdraw 10 degrees currently available, mostly at post-graduate level, and at the same time, we plan to launch 12 new degrees or degree apprenticeships. We also propose to withdraw, merge or reintroduce in a different form, 65 of the less popular modules.

These changes will leave us in a strong position to respond to areas of new demand – providing you with a rich and relevant curriculum offer, as well helping us deal with the financial impact of the student funding regime introduced in England in 2012.

A small number of students will be affected and, if you are part of that group we will be in touch by the end of July to explain what this means for you and our ‘teach-out’ policy, as set out in our Academic Regulations.

If you would like to find out more, please view our article in the Help Centre.

Best wishes

Mary Kellett
Acting Vice-Chancellor