Skip to content

Toggle service links

Message from Acting Vice-Chancellor: Update on future change at the OU

Posted on:

I hope that you had a good summer break and are enjoying the start of your studies, whether you are a new student or returning to us.

We have had a busy August at the OU and I want to keep you updated on the work we are planning to enhance our amazing university as we approach our 50th anniversary next year.

Since starting in the post of Acting Vice-Chancellor in April, I have made it clear that I intend to be open about our challenges and always work with staff and students on the solutions.

Over the summer, we have produced an action plan to help us address priority areas which our staff and student representatives from the OU Students Association have told us about. These areas include strengthening student voice in decision-making at the OU, investing in our IT systems, increasing our focus on student success and enhancing our operational efficiency.

To do this, the OU will need to work differently. One of the most significant changes is the introduction of a Pro Vice-Chancellor for Students who will lead the OU’s work with our student body. Pro Vice-Chancellors play an important role in a university, sharing the leadership of the institution alongside the Vice-Chancellor and the Executive Deans. The PVC for Students will lead the development of a truly world class student experience and, most importantly, ensure that many more students succeed with us.

The PVC for Students will work closely with the OU Students Association, and we continue to involve student representatives in discussions about our action plans. If you would like to share your views, then the OU Students Association would love to hear from you. In the meantime, I will continue to keep you updated via the bi-monthly email newsletter, OpenNews, and our Student Voice website.

This is an exciting time for all of us at the OU. Our mission to open up education to all is just as important now as it was 50 years ago. We are energised about this opportunity to revitalise our university and reach as many people as possible with life-changing learning.

Best wishes

Mary Kellett
Acting Vice-Chancellor